In 1869, Ozi W. Whitaker became the first Bishop of the recently organized "Nevada Territory." He had previously served the first Episcopal Church in Nevada, St. Paul's, Virginia City, where his wife had developed a Sunday School with 400 children on its rolls.
In 1873, Bishop Whitaker made his firs Episcopal visitations to Arizona. Arizona subsequently separated from Nevada and was joined into a missionary jurisdiction with New Mexico. He was the 94th Bishop to be consecrated in the Episcopal Church.
Episcopal Dioceses of Nevada and Arizona separated in 1874.
After his retirement, Bishop Whitaker opened the first private school for girls in Nevada at Reno (then called "Washoe") on October 12, 1876. The school closed in 1894.