SEARCH & TRANSITION COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
The Standing Committee is pleased to announce
the Bishop Search and Transition Committees.
Chaplain: The Rev. Julius Rogina, Trinity, Reno has agreed to serve as Chaplain to both committees
- By diocesan canon, the Search Committee must consist of 3 clergy and 3 lay persons. The Transition Committee contains more members from Southern Nevada, as we expect our new Bishop to live in the Las Vegas area, where the diocesan offices and staff are located. More people will be recruited as the work of the committees and subcommittees progresses and additional needs and skills are identified.
- A consultant for the Search process has also been hired: Suzanne Foucault of San Diego. Bishop Clay Matthews, who heads up Bishop search activity in the Office of the Presiding Bishop recommended her and she has recently assisted the Dioceses of California, San Diego, Chicago and Olympia call their new Bishops.
- Please include all the members of these committees in your prayers. They have a large and important work ahead of them. The committees will embark upon their journey with a retreat on December 1-3 at Lake Tahoe, facilitated by Suzanne. A Holy Eucharist and Commissioning of the Committees will be held at 7 PM Friday, December 1, at St John’s in the Wilderness, at Camp Galilee. You are invited to join us for this service.
- The Chaplain has a significant role in working with both committees to facilitate the work of the Holy Spirit and to reconcile any difficulties or conflicts that may arise in the course of their work. The Chaplain is not an official member of either Committee.
- The Standing Committee thanks all those who submitted nominations, as well as those who expressed a willingness to serve. With only 12 committee seats, there were many qualified people who were not selected. Additional volunteers will be needed to staff positions on the subcommittees, so you may still be called to serve. Subcommittee membership invitations will be issued after the initial meeting on December 1-3. Thank you for your patience and support.
The Standing Committee