POSTING THE NEW MONTLY EDITIONS OF DESERT SPIRIT
Procedure for posting DESERT SPIRIT on Diocesan Site:
WHEN THE CURRENT EDITION OF DESERT SPIRIT is ready to post as a .pdf file:
1.Put the .pdf of DESERT SPIRIT on the site in the ARCHIVES folder where it will stay permanently. Name the file as in the other ones there (“DsrtSprt04.05.pdf” would be the filename for May.). If you post both a .pdf and a .doc file, then both should have idential filenames with the exception of the file extension. If there is a suppliment such as in April, then shat should have a unique filename but using the same dating scheme so that it will appear immediately beside the main file. (Note what was done for April 2004)
2. Create a new link on the “_DsrtSprtDir.html”
page for then new month (current issue is at the top of the list).
3. You do NOT Change the link from the words
“CURRENT EDITION” on that page, because the next part of the procedure
fixes that link so it can stay the same:
4. Copy (to your computer clipboard) the filename "/ADMINISTRATION/WEBTEAM/PROTOCOLS/_DsrtSprt.pdf" then delete that file (It is an additional file in the at the top of the "DsrtSprt" archives).
5. Then duplicate the file you created in #1 above and RENAME theDUPLICATE (not the original) with the name you have on your computer clipboard ("/ADMINISTRATION/WEBTEAM/PROTOCOLS/_DsrtSprt.pdf"). This replaces that older file with the current one so that the link to "Current Edition" never has to change, the Directory listing does not have to change, and all the parish web sites that link to "Desert Spirit " will continue to connect to the same link without changing it each month. This means that there are now 2 links on the Directory page to the current edition. This process saves having to move anything once it is posted, and allows the link to stay the same on parish web sites. (This is the way that "Episcopal Life" on the National site handles the link so that parishes linking to it will always be linking to the current edition.
4. Add a new link on the "_New.html"” page (or change the month of the existing link if it has not been removed, and elevate it to the most recent topmost item) calling attention to the fact that a new edition of DESERT SPIRIT is posted.
5. Send an email to the Nevada Web Administrators email list alerting them to the posting of the new edition, and include the COMPLETE URL to the new edition file so they can link to it directly. Remember to use the generic link that you used in #s 4&5 above.
ADDITIONAL TASKS FROM THE CONTENTS OF THE NEW DESERT SPIRIT:
1. Copy the content of FishTales and post that on the site as described here.
2. Update ENRICHMENT / WORKSHOPS / WorkshopDir.html page with any new workshops that are listed in DESERT SPIRIT. Note that these are listed on the web in order of ascending dates with the soonest ones on top. If any need particular attention, set a “Named Anchor” (the Anchor icon in the Common palate) at the head of that item, and then put a note about it on the “New.html” page. Set the link, and then add “#[anchor name]” immediately after “.html” (as in “...WorkshopDir.html#Rogina”). This will cause the page to open to that item when the link is selected.