Here is how it works:
When you are working on an existing page on the web site, it's icon will display a locked symbol and you cannot make any changes to it without checking it out. This requires using the RIGHT SET OF UPLOAD / DOWNLOAD arrows in the Site window in Dreamweaver.
1. Open Dreamweaver. Select: Site/ Open Site / DIOCESE
2. Select the file(s) you wish to work on (it/they will be highlighted) [To check out more than one file, shift+click on additional files after selecting the first one]
3. Select the RIGHT hand DOWN Arrow (WITH CHECK MARK NEXT TO IT) at the top of the page. This downloads the file to your computer and checks it out to you. Your name will appear to the right of the file in the Site Files window (and in anyone else's window when they open the site.) DO NOT CHECK THE FILE OUT AND OPEN IT AT THE SAME TIME BY DOUBLE CLICKING ON THE FILE. THIS CONVENTION DOES NOT WORK DEPENDABLY IN DREAMWEAVER ANY LONGER AND IT MAY CRASH YOUR APP.
4. NOW, double click the file to open it.
5. Make the changes on the page(s) . [Note: You do not need to remain on line (connected to Diocese site) while you work. You have the page(s) checked out indefinitely and no one else can inadvertently make changes to these pages while you have them checked out--without overriding your checkout.]
6. When completed, save the revised page(s) in your copy of Dreamweaver.
7. Upload and check the page(s) in by selecting the page(s) with which you have
finished, and then selecting the right hand UP ARROW (it has a locked symbol
by it) in the Site Window of Dreamweaver. . [You will notice that the check
mark and your name have disappeared from the file(s) you checked in and uploaded]
THAT'S IT; YOU ARE DONE; THE PAGES ARE BOTH UPLAODED AND CHECKED IN.
WHEN SYNCHRONIZING ( SITE/ SYNCHRONIZE), Be sure that when selecting "Put Newer Files to Remote" that you are sure EVERYTHING in the folders you are Synchronizing was downloaded by you and Checked out. If not, you may be putting older files that you have on your local site, but which have subsequently been removed from the remote site -- back on the remote site by mistake. (They are considered "Newer" than those on the Remote site, because no such file is on the remote site! -- even though they may be quite old!)